[Tilecache] Transparent backgrounds are black in Google Maps

Roger André randre at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 17:17:06 EDT 2008

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly certain this has nothing to do with Tilecache, but I figure
someone else using it may have encountered the same problem in the past.  I
have a tile layer that's being served up as RGBA .png's with backgrounds set
to transparent.  In everything beside by Google Maps web page, the
backgrounds are transparent.  In Google Maps the backgrounds are displayed
as black.

gdalinfo says the following about the image type:
Band 1 Block=731x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Red
  Mask Flags: PER_DATASET ALPHA
Band 2 Block=731x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Green
  Mask Flags: PER_DATASET ALPHA
Band 3 Block=731x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Blue
  Mask Flags: PER_DATASET ALPHA
Band 4 Block=731x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Alpha

Pretty sure it's a problem on the display side, not the image creation or
fetching side, but I'm having trouble tracking it down.

Thanks,

Roger