[Tilecache] Tilecache under IIS 7?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri Apr 10 08:09:06 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 09, 2009 at 07:52:29PM -0600, Greg Cocks wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I am a geologist turned GIS Analyst turned data manager turned web
> mapping and databases (PostgreSQL + PostGIS + PHP + SQL)
>

> I mention this so you realise I am most certainly NOT any form of
> certified computer guy, not that that is a bad thing of course -
> although I like to think pick things up pretty quickly.   :-)
>

> I was wondering if someone could COMMENT on TileCache under IIS 7...
> that is, with my lack of experience can I get it working do you feel?
> What should I be reading about for IIS 7? Handler Mapping? Applications?
>

> Looking at the configs (sic) and 'stuff', can I run it as a FastCGI
> instead?? (not that I really know what that is, but I used a walk
> through to get PHP running that way!)

It's possible to run TileCache under fastcgi; I have no understanding of
how to do it with IIS, but it should be possible. My guess is that
you'll pobably want to move the tilecache.fcgi to  something like
tilecache-fastcgi.py, and try to use that as a fastcgi script, if you
got PHP working in a similar way.

> I got TileCache running under IIS 5.1 using "Vish's Ramblings" walk
> through - but with this hardware I managed to wrangles (and the desired
> for multiple sites), IIS 7 is making my brain hurt!  <smile>

Unfortunately, as much as you're not a tech guy, I'm not a Windows guy,
and have no experience wiwth IIS; my understnading is that IIS7 makes
the options in question harder to find and  set.

If you're trying to od things under a WMS layer, rathr than a TMS layer,
I Think you'll have it easier than otherwise: I think that will be find
if you're just using OpenLayers, so you can consider that a reasonable
path forward.

GOod luck.