[Tilecache] Configuring PIL for 4-bit colormap?

Russell McOrmond russell at flora.ca
Fri Aug 14 12:43:25 EDT 2009

   I notice when I use metaTile=yes that the PNG files I get are much
larger than when metaTile=no.   I notice also that with metaTile=yes I get
an 8-bit colormap, but with metaTile=no I get a 4-bit colourmap, which is
likely the reason for the size difference.

   Is there a simple/etc way to configure tilecache and PIL to generate
similar output for metaTile=yes as we get with metaTile=no?  I'd like the
smaller files, but don't want to be sacrificing image quality to do so.

Thanks.

  Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
  rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
  http://digital-copyright.ca/petition/ict/     http://KillBillC61.ca

   manufacturers, can pry control over my camcorder, computer,
   home theatre, or portable media player from my cold dead hands!"