[Tilecache] Segmentation fault ERROR when run tilecache_seed.py

Dane Springmeyer blake at hailmail.net
Wed Dec 9 20:32:32 EST 2009

Hello Petrus,

Short answer:  Upgrade to Mapnik trunk, or install mapnik from the apt-
repository.

Long answer: The Mapnik 0.6.1 release suffers from a shapefile reading
bug that only manifests with newer compilers, like those just added to
Ubuntu 9.10. We tested on Ubuntu 9.10 beta with no problems but now if
you build from source you'll hit this bug. I was able to fix this
problem in the Mapnik 0.6.1 package available for Karmic, so try
uninstalling your current Mapnik (I assume you installed from source?)
and re-installing from packages:

That would look like

sudo rm /usr/local/lib/libmapnik.dylib
sudo rm -rf /usr/local/lib/mapnik/ #careful!
and remove the python bindings whose location you can find with:
python -c "import mapnik;print mapnik.__file__"

Then do:

sudo apt-get install python-mapnik

Dane