[Tilecache] Too Many Layers in tilecache.cfg?

Brian Walawender Brian.Walawender at noaa.gov
Wed Feb 25 20:24:38 EST 2009

Hello,

Is there a limit on how large tilecache.cfg can be before you start seeing
performance issues?  We have a very large tilecache.cfg file
.         Nearly 15,500 layers
.         154563 lines
.         4.3 MB in size

We are using mod_python to run tilecache.  A typical entry in the file looks
like:

[mia_tr0_8]
type=WMS
url=http://192.168.101.111/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/usr/local/mapserver_config/t
dwr/MIA.map&transparent=true
layers=mia_tr0_8
extension=png
bbox=-20037508.3427892,-20037508.3427892,20037508.3427892,20037508.3427892
maxResolution=156543.0339
srs=EPSG:900913
debug=false

I can validate the Mapserver is functioning properly and I don't prolonged
heavy loading on that machine.  The performance issues on the tilecache
machine are  missing tiles and/or heavy system loading (to the point that
the machine becomes un-useable and has to be rebooted).   The two servers
(wms and tilecache) are 8 core Xeon blades talking across the chassis.

When our tilecache.cfg file was an order of magnitude smaller (in line
count) we didn't see these issues.  Have we hit the wall?  Any suggestions
on how to deal with this (less layers really isn't an option)?

Thanks.

bw

Brian Walawender
Technique Development Meteorologist
Scientific Services Division - Central Region Headquarters
816-268-3114 - Office
816-805-6497 - Cell