[Tilecache] Avoiding creation of blank tiles

Frederic Junod frederic.junod at camptocamp.com
Tue Jul 7 03:54:05 EDT 2009

Hi,

I've started working on a similar system that don't generated empty
tiles, it's still buggy but it works.
It only works with vector based MapServer layers.

Basically, this system iterate over all the layer's features and only
seed tiles that intersects the tile bounds.

The other solution (less faster but simpler) is to post process a disk
cache and replace empty tiles with a symbolic link (using a md5
comparison for example)

fredj

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 5:49 PM, Joe Nunn<joe.nunn at usegis.co.uk> wrote:
> Dear all
>

> I have thought of a number of ways of deleting the transparent/blank tiles
> that are created when running tilecache_seed (using shapefiles coloured up
> by mapnik), however is it possible to prevent the creation of these tiles
> when running tilecache?  This would be considerably faster!
>
> Many thanks
>
> Joe Nunn

Frédéric Junod
Camptocamp SA