[Tilecache] how to speed up tilecache seeding in Tilecache_seed.py

Alireza Kashian alireza.kashian at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 09:58:09 EDT 2009

Hi.
I would like to know how we can making tiles faster in tilecache_seed.py

The issue is that tilecache_seed.py tries to make tiles ONE by ONE..
so for example, in our case, in last zoom levels we have 300,000 tiles and
each tile is generate in 1 second because our Map File is very complex and
parsing and making queries to PostGIS takes time.

Actually MetaTiling is a very good solution, but the problem is that I feel
Tilecache_seed.py does its job without attention to Meta Tiling..for
example, our MetaTile is 11x11...so 121 Tiles are geneated in like 3-4
seconds...but When I run Tilecache_seed.py . I see from the log that it
makes tile requests one by one which takes like 300,000 seconds for just one
of our zoom levels..
Our map file is large , it is like 400 Kbyte..so I feel how hard it is to
make queries 300,000 times for making 300,000 tiles :)

How can we help Tilecache_seed.py to benefit from MetaTile config in
Tilecache.cfg.

Thanks
Alireza