[Tilecache] WMS shootout, ESRI and ERDAS

Richard Orchard richard.orchard at erdas.com
Fri Oct 16 17:49:14 EDT 2009

Hello,

I am the product manager for Image Web Server (http://iws.erdas.com/).  I
would like to add to the information presented here.

I am not particularly secretive about our performance - although i wouldn't
necessarily give my "inside" information to a competitor, i am happy to
share some results with you.  I have the real joy in loving my product - it
is fantastic!  Although, some people here probably think the love goes a bit
too far....

As an example:

Intel Xeon E520 2 x Quad Core 2.5 GHz
8GB Ram
RAID 5 Configuration
40GB OS partition; 1000GB data partition
15,000 RPM SCSI disks  - yes, hard disks make a difference.  Disk IO is a
big "cost".
Operating system: Win 2003 R2 SP2 64bit version.

Performance numbers as far as WMS requests are concerned are largely
dependent upon the type (size, compression) of imagery that is being served.

So, taking a small blue Marble image, only about 2.6 GB uncompressed (i used
an ECW file):

256 x 256 = 420 per second
800 x 600 = 92 per sercond

If we want to up the size of the image, we can take a 2.1 Terabyte landsat
image of the world.

256 x 256 = 351 per second
800 x 600 = 68 per sercond

So - OK type numbers, and enough to sustain quite a large volume of people.
A caveat would be that the machine i tested on was our demo machine
(http://iws.erdas.com/) and i did not "un-plug" it from the world, so other
requests were no doubt coming in.  It also runs some other applications - so
it probably could do "more" than this, but i was happy enough at the time,
so i just left it at that.

If we want to see "rediculous" performance, we can switch to ECWP.  ECWP is
a high-speed streaming protocol.  ECWP is hard to "benchmark" because i need
to get so many free client machines.  Anyway, when i have gather XX number
of client machines - each simulating hundreds of separate clients, we can
simulate and respond to 5000 or more concurrent users.  At the same time CPU
usage only gets to ~20%.

For the tile-cache enthusiasts out there, we have an "Optimized Tile
Delivery" system.  Same sort of "affect" but a different methodology.  I
wrote a couple of items about it:

http://labs.erdas.com/blog_view.aspx?q=6071
http://labs.erdas.com/blog_view.aspx?q=6076

The reason why IWS didn't take part in the "shoot-out" was the requirement
to use a linux operating system.  We focus much more on Windows - although
our Solaris version is quite well tested.

Now - i would like to say that i am "signing" this information as correct
and accurate.  you have my word.  But - if you want to try it for yourself,
and you are genuine, you are able to download IWS from erdas.com and i will
provide you a license and help you with the installation / setup.

Best wishes,

Richard Orchard
http://iws.erdas.com/