[Tilecache] Meta Tiled paletted images - PIL issue

Ivan Mincik ivan.mincik at gista.sk
Fri Oct 23 12:04:42 EDT 2009

On Friday 23 October 2009, soatley wrote:

> Ivan Mincik-2 wrote:
> >
> > On Friday 23 October 2009, you wrote:
> >> I don't think many programs/libraries work with paletted transparency in
> >> PNGs. Nor does PIL. So I'm just writing to confirm that this is a missing
> >> feature of PIL.
> >> Tibor
> >
> > No solution found also after writing to PIL mailing list, so we can not
> > use nice optimized images produced by UMN Mapserver.
> > We decided to produce RGBA images from Mapserver and write a "patch"  to
> > Tilecache to optimize images just after creation using external tools like
> > pngnq of optipng.
> >
> > Ivan
> >

> We use OptiPNG here and it works pretty good, but unfortunately, it does
> take a fair amount of time to run.  On some of our larger layers (ortho) it
> saves a lot of space.
>
> Shawn

Since now we used pngnq for postprocessing of Tilecache disk cache. But, in case of constant cache updates containing many milions of images, we have found a pain in detection, which image is already optimized, which one not. Therefore I think, it should be better to process every image just after saving to disk.

Ivan