[Tilecache] TMS Server

Paul Spencer pagameba at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 07:53:26 EDT 2009

Bruce,

the caching part is generally perceived to be a good thing for
performance and cost reasons.  If you generate tiles from source
images on every request, your server is going to have to do a lot of
redundant processing on every request.  A server may seem to handle
things okay in a testing environment with minimal users, but once you
get several real simultaneous users your server will slow to a crawl
trying to build all the tiles.  Processing power is more expensive
than storage (1TB disks run < $100 now and 1TB can hold a lot of tiles).

There are scripts included with TileCache that can (I believe) be set
up to periodically trim the cache to a specific size on disk, removing
tiles that are less frequently accessed.

Cheers

Paul