[Tilecache] TMS Server

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri Sep 18 09:16:59 EDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 07:28:32PM +0800, Bruce Foster wrote:
> List
>
> I'm trying to find if there are any TMS server in the market now.
>
> I know TileCache can act as TMS but it uses WMS source and caches all
> the tiles and then serves them. What I need is a server that can serve
> TILES directly from images in real time.

The "In real time" aspect is the issue here. The reason that tiles are
cached is because, unless you have a perfectly generated image, you can't
serve tiles 'in real time' out of a source image as fast as you can out
of a static file on disk.

However, if you don't want TileCache to cache, you can write a trivial
Cache. Actually, you don't even need to: It's called 'Test', and it doesn't
do any caching at all, so you'll always be reading the images live.

As soon as you do this -- unless you're far more experienced with
image processing than I am, which is a possibility, I suppose -- you'll
find that you want the cache back.

As for reading images from disk: For small images, use an Image layer.
For big images, use a GDAL layer.

> GeoWebCache is also similar to TileCache I believe.
>
> Only issue is, if we make Tile Cache and then serve, the overhead on
> the harddisk space is high. Just wonder if this is a good idea.

Yes.