[Tilecache] TMS Server

Bruce Foster gis.foster at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 20:53:42 EDT 2009

Hello Andrea and Chris,

Thanks for the quick response.

Quite interesting notes and let me dig deep in to the presentations.
Whats more interesting is the fact that esri and erdas will be
participating in some benchmarking. Will look forward to that.
Surprised that these two are participating, .. tell me thats its TRUE
again.

I'm not against any of these guys, its just the fact that they will
never let you know the performance indicators. If one remembers, the
earlier versions of ArcIMS fails with even 20 simultaneous user if not
properly managed. On the other hand, erdas guys claim themselves to be
the fastest on the world ... well my question is against whom and on
what condition? Does anyone seen any performance numbers published by
erdas? Other day I was reading somewhere that they said it handles
1000's (note 1000's) of concurrent users on a modest hardware... :)
... so I decided to do some test when I had access to one very
recently..

With a very large image requests (1024x800) via WMS on a very large
bluemarble image of 10GB, we sent random bounding boxes through
jmeter.. the results that we got was ... a throughput of 6/sec with
5000 sample request on a modest hardware (note, absolutely NO cache).
Now I dont know where does this 1000's of concurrent users come in? Or
is my understanding, lingo of concurrency is wrong?

On the other hand, GeoServer and MapServer are doing benchmarking for
few years and letting people know the true facts.. hats off.

Getting, back to the original question, the image serving today is
down to image tiles serving for consumer portals and wms (and other
ogc standards) for technical users.. Thats the reason I'm so keen to
see how things are moving...

TMS sounds very promising to me.

Bruce

Thanks