[Tilecache] tilecache seeding error

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Sep 24 16:37:08 EDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 04:32:30PM -0400, Giovanni Zambotti wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am working at a google mushup project with Harvard CGA, and I would like
> to seed my tiles.
> I am testing it using my windows workstation (XP, MS4W, Mod_Python,
> TileCache 2.10).
> Everything is working very well until seeding level 8 and above.
> Here the command that I run

>   File "C:\Python25\lib\urllib2.py", line 1082, in do_open
>     raise URLError(err)
> urllib2.URLError: <urlopen error (10060, 'Operation timed out')>

This means that the server on the remote end timed out. I believe that the
default socket timeout is 30 seconds.

"
In a single-threaded program you can import the socket module and then
use the socket.setdefaulttimeout() function to establish a longer timeout.
" -- http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2006-January/534262.html

I remember running into this problem before on cga-3; I can't remember
if I did anything other than move my tile seeding to that machine (
rather than running it remotely) to fix the problem, so there may be
a networking issue at play here between you and Harvard's server.