[Tilecache] Negative zooms

Yves Moisan yves.moisan at boreal-is.com
Thu Jun 10 07:11:11 EDT 2010

Hi,

Sorry for the weird title, but that's the image I get of my problem.  We
have a bunch of overlays that have widely differing bboxes.  To
accomodate all of them, we therefore have to choose a very large bbox.
Now, we have image coverage for a very small area in that bbox,
basically along a tiny NW-SE line across a small sub-bbox.  We've made a
tileindex for MapServer and put TC in front.  At zoom levels 0-7, we
have a tremendous amount of white tiles and mini thumbnails for images
(useless of course) and the question is how to get rid of that.

Trying to set a smaller bbox in tilecache.cfg does not work (unless I
find a bbox which happens to match the resolution of one of my original
zoom levels ?).  So I figured maybe setting a smaller maxextent for my
whole (openlayers) map and allow people to zoom out from zoomlevel 0
(whence the negative zoom levels) by not having a restricted extent
would let me have a zoom level 0 closer to the area where we have images
for (although there will still be a lot of white tiles at small zoom
levels, but I guess there isn't much we can do).  I would be in negative
zoom levels then and the question is can TC be configured not to render
tiles at those zoom levels ?

Pointers appreciated.

Yves