[Tilecache] Tilecache benchmarks

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Mar 8 07:10:02 EST 2010

On Sat, Mar 06, 2010 at 10:04:53PM -0000, Jonathan Blower wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've noticed a few figures published on the web about tilecache
> performance, in terms of the number of tiles per second that it can
> serve (the tc website contains the figure of 300 tiles per second under
> mod_python).  Are there any published reports that anyone can point me
> to with the origin of figures such as these?  (I'm not doubting them for
> a moment, but I'm writing a report of my own and I'd like to be able to
> cite something other than a website if possible.)

Nothing of mine. The GeoServer vs. MapServer shootout in South Africa
included a cache section, testing GeoWebCache vs. TileCache; the end result
was that it was impossible to max out a tile serving system when all it
was doing was serving tiles, because you'd fill up your network pipe
before you ran out of CPU. I don't know if the slides from that
presentation are available, but they might be helpful if they
were.

-- Chris