[Tilecache] Re: MetaTiling - does projection affect?

Guillaume Sueur no-reply at neogeo-online.net
Thu May 6 01:04:40 EDT 2010

Hi Bill,

The behaviour is exactly as expected here. Metatiling in mainly designed
to seed your cache quicker, because rendering a 2560 x 2560 image and
splitting it into 100 pieces is much faster than rendering 100 tiles.
But it is clearly not designed to be used in a "production" context. The
number of request sent by the client is the same (because the client
doesn't know about metatiling), but for each tile of 256x256 which
doesn't exist in the cache you will generate 100 tiles on the server.
My advice : keep the metatile on for seeding the cache (with
tilecache_seed.py), and put it off when publishing the cache throught
Apache. It can also drive you to file locking and other problems.

Regards,

Guillaume