[Tilecache] Running Standalone under WSGI with tilecache_http_server.py

David Yeiser david at designintellection.com
Tue Oct 26 13:30:15 EDT 2010

I have a working GIS stack of Mapnik, Tilecache and OpenLayers. I'm new not only to web-based GIS but also Python, Linux, etc.

Do I have to run the "python tilecache_http_server.py" command every time I want to use Tilecache?

Can I place it in some startup file? I have a server from Slicehost and when I set it up according to their tutorials I added a file that gets run every time the server boots. Could I do something like that with this command? Something like:

vi /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/run_tilecache_http_server.py

# In run_tilecache_http_server.py there would be some code to start the server

# Then I would do something like this:
chmod +x /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/run_tilecache_http_server.py

Would this work? Does it even make sense? Also, does running the Tilecache server constantly have any negative effects on the overall memory?

Thank you!