[Tilecache] Can't directly access the cache from Potlatch

Eric Wolf ebwolf at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 12:32:45 EDT 2010

I think I'm missing something obvious:

I've setup tilecache.cgi to construct a cache of the NAIP imagery on my
local server. So far, this works great as an "Custom" imagery source in
Potlatch:

http://navigator.er.usgs.gov/naip/tilecache.cgi/1.0.0/0/!/!/!

But I would also like to be able to hit the disk cache directly, ala:

http://navigator.er.usgs.gov/naip/0/!/!/!

I can successfully load individual images from the cache like this:

http://navigator.er.usgs.gov/naip/0/16/15060/25346.png

When I look at the Apache error log, I see "Cache hit:... Tile: x: 15060, y:
40188, z: 16

But in the naip/0/16/15060 directory, there are only four PNGs with
filenames nothing like "40188.png":

25345.png, 25346.png, 25347.png, 25348.png,

My tilecache.cfg looks like this:

[cache]

type=GoogleDisk
base=/osmcp/rails/public/naip

[0]
type=WMS
url=http://isse.cr.usgs.gov/ArcGIS/services/Combined/SDDS_Imagery/MapServer/WMSServer
#layers=0
levels=19
bbox=-180,90,180,-90
srs=EPSG:102113
spherical_mercator=true
tms_type=google

I guess this could be a moot point if there isn't a significant speed
improvement hitting the cache directory directly vs. using
tilecache.cgi as a proxy.

-Eric