[Tilecache] TileCache and Mapnik - it doesn't work

christopher.schmidt at nokia.com christopher.schmidt at nokia.com
Thu Sep 2 08:34:47 EDT 2010

On Sep 2, 2010, at 6:34 AM, ext Steve L. wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have set up Mapnik and TileCache on my Windows XP System and got through
> both Tutorials and each ist working fine.
> But if I try to use my own data I got only pink tiles in my browser and an
> error:
>
> An error occurred: No module named mapnik
>  File "C:\tilecache-2.10\TileCache\Service.py", line 323, in cgiHandler
>    format, image = service.dispatchRequest( params, path_info, req_method,
> host )
>  File "C:\tilecache-2.10\TileCache\Service.py", line 208, in
> dispatchRequest
>    return self.renderTile(tile, params.has_key('FORCE'))
>  File "C:\tilecache-2.10\TileCache\Service.py", line 138, in renderTile
>    data = layer.render(tile, force=force)
>  File "C:\tilecache-2.10\TileCache\Layer.py", line 443, in render
>    return self.renderTile(tile)
>  File "C:\ms4w\Apache\cgi-bin\tilecache-2.10\TileCache\Layers\Mapnik.py",
> line 27, in renderTile
>    import mapnik
>
> I think it might just be a directory problem but I'm not quite sure.
> I also think I set up Mapnik and TileCache correctly because both programs
> work.

>From where TileCache is running (presumably within Apache), it does not have
access to the mapnik Python libraries.

I would recommend first:

 1. creating a simple cgi script, which says something like:

#!/usr/bin/python
import mapnik

print "Content-Type:text/html"
print ""
print "Win!"

 2. Determining whether it works (I expect it won't)
 3. Working with the mapnik mailing list to figure out how to make it work.
    (Though I expect you'll get limited help, as this is sort of an installation
    issue, on what looks like a platform most mapnik devs don't use much.)

Best of luck.

-- Chris