[Tilecache] LeafletJS and Tilecache

Jakeman, Neil neil.jakeman at kcl.ac.uk
Thu Nov 15 02:27:35 PST 2012

Re-posting as I attached an image last time which made the message too large:

I am having real problems getting this configuration to work.
I am using Leaflet 0.4 to create a WMS layer ;

mapserver = new L.TileLayer.WMS('http://mapsrv.cch.kcl.ac.uk/tilecache-2.11/tilecache.cgi',{
                layers: 'postgres_worldmap',
                format: 'image/png',
                version: '1.1.0',
                });

It is serving this layer in tilecache:

[postgres_worldmap]
type=WMS
url=/sample_map_script.cgi
extension=png
size=256,256
srs=EPSG:3857
extent_type=loose
transparent=true
maxResolution=156543.0

... from this setup in a mapfile:

MAP
                NAME   "Test"
                MAXSIZE              14096
                IMAGETYPE        AGG
                OUTPUTFORMAT
                                NAME 'AGG'
                                DRIVER AGG/PNG
                                MIMETYPE "image/png"
                                IMAGEMODE RGBA
                                EXTENSION "png"
                END
                SIZE 256 256
                EXTENT -180 -90 180 90
                PROJECTION
                                "init=epsg:3857"
                END

                LAYER
                                NAME "postgres_worldmap"
                                METADATA
                                                "wms_title"        "worldmap"
                                                "wms_srs"          "EPSG:4326 EPSG:3857"
                                END
                PROJECTION
                                                "init=epsg:4326"
                                END
                                TYPE POLYGON
                                CONNECTIONTYPE POSTGIS
                                                EXTENT -180 -90 180 90
                                CONNECTION "host=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX port=5432 dbname=postgres user=postgres password=XXXXXX"
                                DATA "the_geom from tbl_simple_world_border"
                                CLASS
                                                STYLE
                                                                OUTLINECOLOR 255 0 0
                                                                ANTIALIAS TRUE
                                                END
                                END
                END

                WEB
                                METADATA
                                                "wms_title"        "WGS84 Server"
                                                "wms_srs"          "EPSG:4326 EPSG:3857"
                                                "wms_onlineresource" "http://mapsrv.cch.kcl.ac.uk/sample_map_script.cgi"
                                                "ows_enable_request"   "*"
                                END
                                IMAGEPATH "/tmp/"
                END
END

This request:
http://mapsrv.cch.kcl.ac.uk/tilecache-2.11/tilecache.cgi?service=WMS&request=GetMap&version=1.1.0&layers=postgres_worldmap&styles=&format=image/png&transparent=false&height=256&width=256&srs=EPSG:3857&bbox=-27517.33018266345,6591317.82308732,-27211.582069522745,6591623.571200458

is failing with...

An error occurred: Current x value -27517.330183 is too far from tile corner x -27391.576172

I have trawled Google with no luck.
If I add spherical_mercator=true to the config, then I get an error saying the URL is invalid.

I have dealt (I think) with other issues regarding resolutions being wrong etc, but am stuck on this.
What I can't understand is why the corner should matter - I thought the tile I needed would be generated and 'positioned' appropriately with its corner outside of my map window if necessary as happens with other tms layers. Of course the tilecache is being used as a WMS in this instance.
I haven't tried this with OpenLayers so maybe the Leaflet library is the issue?

i.e. - the map bounds, although in the url request, would still return the tile required even though its ll corner is outside of the bounds

I'm obviously misunderstanding something fundamental here, and any help would be gratefully received.

Neil