[Tiling] Fwd: [OSGeo-Standards] Irregular tile coverage in TMS?

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Sun Sep 12 12:14:51 EDT 2010

Mateusz Loskot <mateusz at loskot.net> writes:

> [...]

I'm assuming your TMS would return an error for tiles not in the area
being covered.  I don't read the spec to prohibit the area not being a
rectangle.

Practically, it seems clients have to deal with missing tiles anyway.
The important property for the set of tiles on the server would seem to
be that given a tile that is not yet at advertised maximum depth one can
get the 4 subtiles.

I don't think your example is prohibited by the specification, and one
immediately ends up talking about whether the set of available tiles
would be viewed as useful/reasonable by a tile consumer - which is more
or less a separate issue.