[TOSprint] Java 11 code sprint taking shape

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 16:33:14 PDT 2018

aside: This work stated in the Bonn code sprint, with the JTS Topology
Suite being made available as a module, and GeoTools upgrading a key units
library that was incompatible with the Java 11.

Now that Java 11 is near its September 25th release we hope to see many
more projects taking part!

This will be an interesting transition for the java community:
- Java 11 is a LTS release, which in this case means oracle will sell you
support beyond the 6-months of public support.
- Other groups are rallying around offering LTS support of OpenJDK, for
example Red Hat is jumping from Java 8 to Java 11 for their customers.

--
Jody Garnett