[Ubuntu] Hello and question

Alan Boudreault aboudreault at mapgears.com
Thu Jun 4 07:30:00 EDT 2009

Hi Giovanni,

That could be useful to some people. But it's simpler using UbuntuGIS
repository. The only thing we have to do to install those packages is
"apt-get install <package-name>" plus 2-3 more steps for the MrSID
plugin and ECW plugin (soon).

Regards,
Alan

Giovanni Manghi wrote:
> Hi,
> I wrote a detailed guide on how to build qgis and grass with ecw and mrsid
>
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Instalar_Grass_6.4_e_QGis_1.0_em_Ubuntu_8.10_(com_ECW_e_MrSID)
>
> it is in Portuguese but should be pretty clear.
>
> I recently translated it in english and should be included soon in the
> qgis official documentation.
>

> -- Giovanni --
>
> On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 9:03 PM, Alan Boudreault
> <aboudreault at mapgears.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Bill,
>>
>> Here's the procedure that you have to do to build mrsid plugin:
>>
>> 1- apt-get update (just to be sure that you get the lastest UbuntuGIS packages
>> list)
>>
>> 2- apt-get install gdal-mrsid-src
>>
>> 3- apt-get install gdal-bin (we'll use the utility gdalinfo to check if the
>> plugin is properly installed)
>>
>> 4- Run gdalinfo: gdalinfo --formats | grep -i mrsid  (at this point... you
>> should not see any output because the plugin is not installed)
>>
>> 5- Download and extract the Lizard GeoSDK.
>>
>> 6- Build and install the plugin: gdal-mrsid-build
>> /usr/local/Geo_DSDK-7.0.0.2167 (this is an example path... you can use any
>> path you want.. just pass it to gdal-mrsid-build in argument)
>>
>> 7- Re-Run gdalinfo: gdalinfo --formats | grep -i mrsid  (now, you should see
>> the MrSID plugin entry)
>>

>> Let me know if all is ok.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Alan
>>
>> On June 3, 2009 03:40:55 pm Bill Kristan wrote:
>>
>>> Hello UbuntuGIS!
>>>
>>> I'm pleased to see you're working on packages for open source GIS on
>>> Ubuntu. I'm a GIS user on Kubuntu Jaunty, and it's great to have a source
>>> of up to date debs.
>>>
>>> I've been trying various ways to import mrsid images into GRASS, and have
>>> yet to find a linux-only solution (I've successfully exported sids to img
>>> files on ArcInfo in Windows, then imported them into GRASS, but that's less
>>> than ideal - Lizard Tech's mrsidgeodecode has small maximum file sizes on
>>> all its output formats, which has been a problem, and so on). It looks like
>>> the gdal-mrsid plugin on the ubuntugis ppa archive is just what I need,
>>> but... I'm not getting it to compile right. I downloaded Lizard Tech's SDK
>>> (Geo_DSDK-7.0.0.2167), and extracted it into /usr/local, then renamed it
>>> GeExpress-7.0 (because that's what it was called in the gdal-mrsid-build.in
>>> script...hoped that would work, since I wasn't sure how to point to it with
>>> apt-get -b). I compiled the examples in the sdk, which worked. I then tried
>>> to build the package with apt-get -b source gdal-mrsid, which gave me a
>>> package called gdal-mrsid-src_1.6.1-1_all.deb. Installing that with dpkg -i
>>> seemed to work, but then r.in.gdal didn't recognize my test sid file, and
>>> doesn't list mrsid as a supported format. Does anybody know where I might
>>> be going wrong?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>  Bill Kristan
>>>
>> --