[Ubuntu] Hello and question

Bill Kristan wkristan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 12:30:34 EDT 2009

Hi Alan - I know there's at least one other user following this thread, so
I'll make my progress report on the list...

Your instructions worked great, I managed to get the plugin installed.

The next problem is that when I try to run either r.in.gdal or gdal_translate
I get an "undefined symbol" error

gdal_translate: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/gdal16plugins/gdal_MrSID.so:
undefined symbol: _ZN12LTIVSIStreamC1Ev

The configure output (and the command I used) is here:

root at wkristanlt:/home/bill# gdal-mrsid-build /usr/local/GeExpress-7.0

grep: /usr/local/GeExpress-7.0/include/support/lt_base.h: No such file or
directory
Extracting GDAL/MrSID tarball
Building GDAL/MrSID plugin
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for g++ -shared ... yes
checking for gdal-config... /usr/bin/gdal-config
using /usr/lib/gdal16plugins as GDAL shared library autoload directory
checking for lt_base.h in /usr/local/GeExpress-7.0/include/support... not
found.
checking for lt_base.h in /usr/local/GeExpress-7.0/include... found MrSID DSDK
version 7.x or newer.
checking for MG3ImageWriter.h in
/usr/local/GeExpress-7.0/include/mrsid_writers... no encoding support.
checking for MrSID JPEG2000 support... disabled
checking for XTIFFClientOpen in -lgeotiff... yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile

I don't see any problems there - maybe a problem with the gcc or g++ version
I'm using? I have several installed, but when I do g++ --version I get

g++ (Ubuntu 4.3.3-5ubuntu4) 4.3.3

and gcc --version gives me:

gcc (Ubuntu 4.3.3-5ubuntu4) 4.3.3

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bill

ps. If it's possible to enable jpeg2000 support in this process, I'd be
delighted get that working too.