[Ubuntu] Inclusion of OSGeo MapGuide and FDO projects on UbuntuGIS

Trevor Wekel trevor_wekel at otxsystems.com
Mon Apr 5 19:36:52 EDT 2010

Hi Cameron,

I took a quick look at the Debian New Maintainers Guide. http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/

There are a couple of areas which concern me:

1.  http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#s-debianrules

The rules file is basically a make file that will generate all the binaries from a source tree.  From what I can tell, this is a required file.  It will take a fair bit of work to implement cleanly.  In addition, there are portions of the MapGuide and FDO build procedures which do not currently support the following requirement:

"The build-arch and build-indep targets must not do anything that might require root privilege."

As a further complication to the "build from source" requirement, MapGuide does not compile with GCC 4.4 so current Ubuntu and Debian distributions will fail to compile the MapGuide source tree.  It will take time and effort to make MapGuide GCC 4.4 compliant.

2. http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-checkit.en.html#s-lintians

The .deb packages I have generated contain a large number of lintian packaging errors.  Most of these errors are due to the fact that both MapGuide and FDO install to /usr/local/.  Additional errors are due to the non-native Ubuntu compilation process I have gone through to get binaries on Ubuntu (ie. compile on CentOS 5, tarball the binaries, and then package on Ubuntu).

I am under the assumption that both of these items will have to be addressed before MapGuide and FDO are considered Debian compliant packages.  These issues will not be addressed for the upcoming releases of MapGuide and FDO.  I expect resolution of these issues will entail months of work for the MapGuide and FDO projects.  This work may be undertaken in future releases of MapGuide and FDO.

If these items preclude inclusion of MapGuide and FDO on DebianGIS and/or UbuntuGIS, please let me know.  The packaging is certainly not "clean" as it stands now.

Regards,
Trevor