[Ubuntu] Launchpad download stats script

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sat Dec 11 14:47:18 EST 2010

Ah that's an interesting site, but note how the data is collected.
"This site publishes the statistics gathered from report send by users
of the popularity-contest package. This package sends the list of
packages installed and the access time of relevant files to the server
weekly." So it's an opt-in sub sample of the population.

There is some useful data to be had here though, since its essentially a
subsample of the population we might be able to test against the ppa
numbers to estimate how many people who download actually use qgis on
regular basis.

#<name> is the package name;
#<inst> is the number of people who installed this package;
#<vote> is the number of people who use this package regularly;
#<old> is the number of people who installed, but don't use this package
#        regularly;
#<recent> is the number of people who upgraded this package recently;
#<no-files> is the number of people whose entry didn't contain enough
#        information (atime and ctime were 0).
#rank name                            inst  vote   old recent no-files
4147  qgis                            6979   803  5903   271     2

I read this as 12% of downloaders use on a regular basis, of course that
may actually be higher for the ppa, since it takes extra work to enable
the ppa. It's also unclear if the ppa is included in this sampling method.

Thanks,
Alex