[Ubuntu] Postgis Version update to 1.3.6

Frank Broniewski brfr at metrico.lu
Wed May 12 03:59:27 EDT 2010

> Frank wrote:
>> Or is Hardy Heron already outdated?
>
> fwiw Hardy Heron was 5 Ubuntu releases ago. so yes, it's outdated :) but on the positive side the newer releases automatically include a newer version of PostGIS. (ie Karmic Koala or the brand new Lucid Lynx)
>
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=postgis
>

> You might consider to compile from source if you need/want to stick with Hardy, but perhaps just go to 1.3.6 as PostGIS 1.4+ may want to have Postgre 8.4 (?) which is probably not available for Hardy either.
>

> regards,
> Hamish

Hi,

maybe outdated was a unlucky choice of words, since Hardy is a LTS
release and supported until 2013 by Ubuntu. I meant the support by the
Ubuntu-GIS people. While I do have plans to update my servers to 10.04
this year I want to wait at least until 10.04.1 before doing this. And
updating an online (web) server is always a bit risky, so I am not doing
this in a hurry.

But I understand of course that support for a probable minority of users
is often too much work for a volunteers like the ubuntu-gis repository.
Therefore my question, otherwise I would have searched for an
alternative solution :-)

Unfortunately (in terms of reasons for upgrading) everything is running
smoothly here, and if I would'nt have the need to convert pg-geometries
to geojson format, I would'nt have asked for an upgrade to 1.3.6.

Anyway, thanks for the hints

Frank

--
Frank BRONIEWSKI