[Ubuntu] Re: problem building GRASS add-ons

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 1 05:28:37 EDT 2010

Taylor wrote:
> Looks like I made it as far as the
> manual building, when it failed:

yup

> make htmlcmd
> sh: Can't open
> /build/buildd/grass-6.4.0~rc6/tools/g.html2man/g.html2man

two things are wrong here:
- the grass-dev package is not shipping the g.html2man tool.
  (see https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1180#comment:5 )
- GRASS_HOME in grass-6.4.0~rc6/include/Make is set as the build-
  machine's working dir, not the final installed working dir.
  ie /build/buildd/ doesn't exist for you, only on the build
  server.  (see above ticket, comments 3 and 4)

thanks for posting the debugging output. it looks like this may
soon finally begin to work as intended without forcing users to
make obscure contortions!

> How do I confirm that the module compiled?

if not using g.extension: got another command line override for
you:
 make ... INST_DIR=/usr/lib/grass64

you may need sudo to write to that dir.

if using g.extension: It builds, but because the latter bit of
`make` failed the script immediately deletes the incomplete
results. You'd have to edit the script to bypass the "cleanup"
step, and then look in $MAPSET/.tmp/ for the results before you
exited or restarted GRASS (.tmp/ gets flushed on startup & exit).

Hamish