[Ubuntu] [Fwd: [QGIS-trac] [Quantum GIS] #3830: no tiff support in Ubuntu 11.04 with ubuntugis gdal (1.8.0)]

Julien Malik julien.malik at c-s.fr
Wed May 18 06:42:48 EDT 2011

Hello Giovanni,

Firstly, there is nothing specific to natty : if the program links to
the system libtiff, you will have the problem on all the distributions.
The problem comes from the gdal 1.8 source code, where the GTiff driver
is disabled when a tiff version mismatch is detected. This update made
our packages based on ubuntugis-unstable repo unusable (we need to link
to libtiff, so all our binaries would lost TIFF support).

The fix I came out with is to patch the gdal18 debian package to still
register the driver, even if the libtiff version mismatch is issued.
The patched gdal 18 package is available in :
https://launchpad.net/~otb/+archive/orfeotoolbox-nightly

Maybe you can add this repository, reinstall gdal (should pick the
1.8.0-2~natty1+otb1 version), and check if it fixes your problem.
In case it fixes the problem, it will be worth considering integrating
the patch into the ubuntugis package. What are other people's opinion on
this ? Personnally, I'm happy to throw away my patched gdal package

This patch should be only temporary, as the Debian folks are working on
a better solution with versioned symbols, which will fix those kind of
issues.

Julien