[Ubuntu] GDAL MrSID 8.0 DSDK plugin Compile issues

Justin Penka jpenka at sdrmaps.com
Fri Sep 30 17:24:31 EDT 2011

Hi, was wondering If anyone has had any success compileing the standalone MrSID drivers for GDAL, using the 8.0 DSDK from Lizardtech. The wiki is largely outdated but served as a template to follow:

Using Ubuntu 11.04, GDAL 1.8, MrSID DSDK 8.0

I went ahead and installed libgdal-mrsid-src and gdal-bin using apt-get. Grabbed the DSDK from Lizardtech site and placed it in my /usr/local dir. The script gdal-mrsid-build contained in /bin that comes with the libgdal-mrsid-src package is outdated. The script doesnt so much but pull the tarball /usr/src/libgdal-mrsid-1.8.0.tar.gz, unpack it and then run a configure and make. Easy enough, I'll just take care of that part myself.

Thus after unpacking libgdal-mrsid-1.8.0.tar.gz, I went ahead and passed the following command:

./configure --with-gdal=yes --with-mrsid=/usr/local/MrSID/Raster_DSDK --with-jp2mrsid=no --with-geotiff=yes --with-autoload=/usr/lib/gdalplugins/1.8

I set jp2mrsid to no as jpeg2000 support is already built into the gdal from apt and the libraries to compile it no longer seem to be part of the mrsid dsdk. The problem is the output is as follows:

checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for g++ -shared ... yes
checking for gdal-config... /usr/bin/gdal-config
using /usr/lib/gdalplugins/1.8 as GDAL shared library autoload directory
checking for lt_base.h in /usr/local/MrSID/Raster_DSDK/include/support... not found.
checking for lt_base.h in /usr/local/MrSID/Raster_DSDK/include... found MrSID DSDK version 7.x or newer.
checking for MG3ImageWriter.h in /usr/local/MrSID/Raster_DSDK/include/mrsid_writers... no encoding support.
checking for MrSID JPEG2000 support... disabled
checking for XTIFFClientOpen in -lgeotiff... no
configure: error: libgeotiff is required to build GDAL MrSID driver

Alright thats weird. I have libgeotiff support on the system. listgeo seems to work just fine. I tried setting the library specifically instead of using a yes, again same result. Noticed on the wiki that there was ABI incompatibilites with libgeotiff 1.3.0:

Pre-8.0.0 MrSID SDK releases rely on the ABI of pre-1.3.0 libgeotiff. So when linking GDAL against libgeotiff >= 1.3.0 or internal libgeotiff of GDAL 1.7.0, you might encounter crashes on some platforms (verified on Fedora 12, 32 bit for example). A workaround is to compile GDAL with libgeotiff 1.2.5 or use a newer version of the MrSID SDK (version 8.0.0 or higher). See ticket 3309 for details.

Well this is the 8.0 release and the system has libgeotiff 1.3 installed but maybe there is some sort of issue. Removed libgeotiff and compile it from source using the latest tar from thir site. Same issue.. I'm out of ideas at this point. Anyone have any ideas?

thanks

-Justin