[Ubuntu] ESRI, Microsoft Access Personal Geodatabase, PGeo and ogrinfo error: ODBC: Invalid install path

Katie Urey ksurey at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 17:07:13 EST 2012

Friends,

Per notes on this web page, http://gdal.org/ogr/drv_pgeo.html

I believe that I should be able to read tables from a Microsoft/ESRI
personal geodatabase by using ogr* commands.

Not yet. The Current error is "ODBC: Invalid install path". It
would be simple if a typo or an install mistake was confirmed.
For instance- did I err in the install to get
ODBCSYSINI set to my home dir?  If so, do I re-install or
override?

Also, please advise if I should send to another list.

-best
Katie Urey
Portland, Oregon

some details:

-1:/home/GISData/CurbCuts$ ogrinfo --debug on PGeo:sample_pgeo
 PGeo: MDB Tools driver: /usr/lib/libmdbodbc.so.0
 ODBC: HOME=/home/katie
 ODBC: ODBCSYSINI=/home/katie
**ERROR 1: ODBC: Invalid install path
 Warning 1: Unable to install MDB driver for ODBC, MDB access may not
supported.

 PGeo: EstablishSession(sample_pgeo)
 ODBC: SQLConnect(sample_pgeo)
 ODBC: ... failed: [unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not
found, and no default driver specified
 ODBC: SQLDisconnect()
 ERROR 1: Unable to initialize ODBC connection to DSN for sample_pgeo,
 [unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not found, and no default
driver specified
 PGeo: MDB Tools driver: /usr/lib/libmdbodbc.so.0
 ERROR 1: ODBC: Invalid install path
 Warning 1: Unable to install MDB driver for ODBC, MDB access may not
supported.

 PGeo: EstablishSession(sample_pgeo)
 ODBC: SQLConnect(sample_pgeo)
 ODBC: ... failed: [unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not
found, and no default driver specified
 ODBC: SQLDisconnect()
 ERROR 1: Unable to initialize ODBC connection to DSN for sample_pgeo,
 [unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not found, and no default
driver specified
 FAILURE:
 Unable to open datasource `PGeo:sample_pgeo' with the following
drivers.

I am working on a Ubuntu/Natty OS with unixODBC 2.3.1, which I installed
from a
tar download using the defaults.  (I am ignorant of make/configure..)

I am able to see the tables in the ESRI Personal Geodatabase by using
DataManager
and mdb-tables.

The gdal info:
GDAL 1.8.0, released 2011/01/12

==============

odbcinst -j
unixODBC 2.3.1
DRIVERS............: /usr/local/etc/odbcinst.ini
SYSTEM DATA SOURCES: /usr/local/etc/odbc.ini
FILE DATA SOURCES..: /home/GISData/CurbCuts/
USER DATA SOURCES..: /home/katie/.odbc.ini
SQLULEN Size.......: 4
SQLLEN Size........: 4
SQLSETPOSIROW Size.: 2

====

mdb-tables WPC_study_area_data_from_PBOT.mdb
GDB_ReleaseInfo GDB_FeatureDataset GDB_ObjectClasses GDB_FeatureClasses
GDB_RelClasses GDB_ValidRules GDB_AttrRules GDB_RelRules
GDB_EdgeConnRules GDB_JnConnRules GDB_Topologies GDB_TopoRules
GDB_TopoClasses GDB_DefaultValues GDB_Subtypes GDB_Domains
GDB_RangeDomains GDB_CodedDomains GDB_UserMetadata GDB_FieldInfo
GDB_Extensions GDB_Replicas GDB_ReplicasEx GDB_ReplicaDatasets
GDB_Toolboxes GDB_RasterCatalogs GDB_ExtensionDatasets GDB_ReplicaLog
GDB_AnnoSymbols GDB_SpatialRefs GDB_GeomColumns Streets_pdx_Shape_Index
Streets_pdx Selections SelectedObjects Tax_Parcels_Shape_Index
Tax_Parcels Sidewalks_Shape_Index Sidewalks Curb_Ramps_Shape_Index
Curb_Ramps Driveways_Shape_Index Driveways PM_Symbols_Shape_Index
PM_Symbols PM_Lines_Shape_Index PM_Lines MAX_Shape_Index MAX
LH_Intersections_Shape_Index LH_Intersections LH_Nodelegs_Shape_Index
LH_Nodelegs LH_Blockfaces_Shape_Index LH_Blockfaces
LH_Segments_Shape_Index LH_Segments

============Access DSN in /usr/local/etc/odbcinst.ini

1:~$ grep -A7 Access /usr/local/etc/odbcinst.ini
[Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)]
Description     = MDB Tools ODBC drivers
Driver          = /usr/lib/libmdbodbc.so.0
Setup           =
FileUsage       = 1
CPTimeout       =
CPReuse         =

and in ~/.odbc.ini
[sample_pgeo]
Description     = Sample PGeo Database for Curb Cuts
Driver          = Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)
Database        = /home/GISData/CurbCuts/WPC_study_area_data_from_PBOT.mdb
Host            = localhost
Port            = 1360
User            = katie
Password        =