[Ubuntu] Noob question: Does GDAL in the UbuntuGIS (or universe/science) packages have GRIB2 support?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Oct 23 14:09:46 PDT 2012

Rick,

GRIB support is in the default GDAL build.  You can confirm it's presence
like this:

warmerdam at gdal:~$ gdalinfo --format grib
Format Details:
  Short Name: GRIB
  Long Name: GRIdded Binary (.grb)
  Extension: grb
  Help Topic: frmt_grib.html
  Supports: Virtual IO - eg. /vsimem/

In any event, the warning/error messages make it clear the GRIB code is in
play, but something about your file is not working with the existing GRIB
code.

BTW, I was able to translate your file to GeoTIFF successfully though I
also see the message about not finding GRIB or TLDP.

Best regards,
Frank

warmerdam at pobox.com