[Ubuntu] UbuntuGIS PSC Creation

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 13 02:58:48 PST 2013

Hi,

Alex:
> and even making sure we have 1 person who is both DebianGIS and
> Ubuntugis for coordination.

without getting too presumptuous, Frankie L. is an obvious person to
approach, but failing that that a crossover person could be me, but
tbh I'm not really sure how a PSC would actually benefit UbuntuGIS or
OSGeo. A PSC is good for making strategic and political decisions, but
95% of our issues are technical ones where the wider pool of
developers participate in "may the soundest idea win". The main
strategic decision we have right now is the repo re-naming, which I
think most of us are in fair agreement about anyway.

I'm all for breathing life into the project in whatever way we can,
but at the same time am concerned about adding new layers of
bureaucracy which might morph into a time+energy sink/inefficiency,
and avoiding the situation of too many chiefs & not enough braves.
Another thing to be concerned with in small groups like ours is to
avoid the appearance of a cabal, where new contributors don't feel
part of the technical decision making group, and we desperately need
those new contributors to be part of the technical decision making
group.. On the other hand I fully accept Alan's concerns about his
bus factor, in DebianGIS for a long time we've relied on Frankie
in the same way.

just some thoughts,
Hamish