[Ubuntu] A new QGIS 2.0

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Feb 17 15:10:52 PST 2014

On 02/17/2014 03:02 PM, Randal Hale wrote:
> No - I'm only using the Ubuntugis/unstable ppa. I'll probably set up a
> VM sometime this week and run unstable to get a look at 2.2. I've been
> doing a lot of work with qgis/gdal and don't  want to run something that
> might snap with a nightly update.
>

> If you install QGIS from the QGIS.org repos it's built against gdal 1.7
> (unless I'm missing something). That's what made me wonder if there was
> some sort of update for 2.0.1 I was missing. Spatialite has been a bit
> odd with me - once you create a database it takes several several
> minutes to build it. That doesn't happen with QGIS built with gdal 1.7.
> It's not like it's not building or is corrupt when it finishes - it's
> just taking a lot longer than I think it should.
>
> It could just be me though - It doesn't sound like I'm missing anything.
> No worries.

Yes you are missing something.
There are 3 different qgis.org repos, 2 of which are nightly builds
The one you want is:
deb     http://qgis.org/ubuntugis-nightly precise main
deb-src http://qgis.org/ubuntugis-nightly precise main
deb     http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable/ubuntu
precise main

This will get you 2.1.x (soon to be 2.2) with gdal 1.10

But yes you could break things since it's the nightly build, of course
if you get a working nightly build you can just lock it. FYI, if you're
making a new spatialite db you can just do that on the command line
before using it in qgis.

Enjoy,
Alex