[Ubuntu] Packaging and project re-organization

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Thu Jan 2 03:55:44 PST 2014

Hi Johan,

On Thu, Jan 02, 2014 at 12:13:44PM +0100, Johan Van de Wauw wrote:

> > I personally would welcome if the packaging itself would happen in Debian
> > GIS repository[1]
>
> I agree.

:-)

> > Did you checked the changes file with lintian?  May be my suspiscion is
> > wrong and I need to change my mind about this.
>
> These will have lintian errors and probably a whole load of other
> errors. We are looking for an easy way to convert current scripts
> (like eg [1]) to debian packages so we can at least uninstall the
> things they create, which also makes updates possible.

Ahhh.

> Creating proper debian packages of many of these programs or even just
> their dependencies is a hefty task - just look at the number of
> actively maintained java GIS packages in debian. I simply know no one
> who has both good knowledge of debian packaging and the java GIS stack
> and sufficient interest/time to actually do the job. And then I've not
> yet mentioned JAI and other problems in the upstream packages that may
> even make packaging for debian impossible.

Well, to some extend you can inject Java packages containing *.jar files
into Debian non-free.  Not nice, but you can at least create Debian
policy conform packages which are more sustainable in the long run.  We
started doing this in the Debian Med team and worked down the list of
*.jar files step by step (very) slowly to finally get free packages.  I
agree that this is definitely a manpower problem and thus I'm stubbornly
arguing to join forces. ;-)

> This being said: we (osgeo live) have a meeting on IRC tonight at
> 20:30 UTC time. Feel free to join if you have some time:
> irc://irc.freenode.net#osgeolive

I'll try to join - thanks for the hint.

Kind regards

      Andreas.