[Ubuntu] Fwd: [Live-demo] Packaging and project re-organization

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Fri Jan 3 00:28:37 PST 2014

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 03, 2014 at 12:38:18AM +0200, Angelos Tzotsos wrote:
> >Well, it takes actually weeks and so my effort is called "Mentoring of the
> >*Month*":
> >
> >    https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/MoM
> >
> >If you try to start from scratch without help it might be hard but all
> >MoM students agreed that it is not that hard when getting help on a
> >practical example.
>
> This is a great effort. I wish I had this help when I started
> packaging some years back :)

We do even have a proof that if a team is open and does proper mentoring
new developers will be attracted to Debian.  If you look at:

   https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/Developers

and specifically into the column "DD because Debian Med exists" you see
a lot of "yes" values.  I admit that a large part of my motivation is to
create such kind of table for Debian GIS as well.  I want to show that
Debian is as open to newcomers as the newcomer itself is open and
interested to do some challenging work.

> >As I said:  I do not know FPM and I can asure you I do not want to know
> >it - so I can not decide whether it is easy and practical.
>
> Let's stay to our current plan and see IF we will need it in the future.

+1

Kind regards

         Andreas.

--