[Ubuntu] Packaging work flow policy

Ivan Minčík ivan.mincik at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 12:09:00 PST 2014

Dear UbuntuGIS devs,
If I understand things correctly, there are few important rules in
packaging work flow which I did not found anywhere in UbuntuGIS wiki.

1. All UbuntuGIS packaging work should be done in Debian's Alioth Git
repositories at git.debian.org by members of pgk-grass group [1]
2. UbuntuGIS packaging in git.debian.org repository should be done in
dedicated branches [3] and with correct versioning policy [2]
3. Packaging of new version should always start in Debian unstable, then it
could be adjusted in Ubuntu branch and than package in UbuntuGIS PPA could
be build. This also means that UbuntuGIS could not build any package which
does not exists in Debian unstable or at least in experimental

For me, these steps looks very reasonable and could bring very good final
result. If all these steps are true, could they be written in UbuntuGIS
wiki as official policy ?

1 - https://alioth.debian.org/account/register.php
2 - http://linuxminded.nl/tmp/pkg-grass-website/policy.html#ubuntugis-ppa
3 - http://linuxminded.nl/tmp/pkg-grass-website/policy.html#git-branches