[Ubuntu] Packaging Orfeo Toolbox for Debian

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Mon Jul 14 13:09:16 PDT 2014

Hi again,

I started the polishing of the packaging with the more simple tasks.
When trying to silence the Debian policy checker lintian I fixed a
spelling problem which has a repeated pattern.  Feel free to take over
this patch:

   https://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-grass/otb.git;a=blob;f=debian/patches/spelling.patch

The more problematic issue is:

E: libotb: embedded-library usr/lib/otb/libotbopenjpeg.so.1111.1.0: openjpeg
N:
N:    The given ELF object appears to have been statically linked to a
N:    library. Doing this is strongly discouraged due to the extra work needed
N:    by the security team to fix all the extra embedded copies or trigger the
N:    package rebuilds, as appropriate.
N:
N:    If the package uses a modified version of the given library it is highly
N:    recommended to coordinate with the library's maintainer to include the
N:    changes on the system version of the library.
N:
N:    Refer to Debian Policy Manual section 4.13 (Convenience copies of code)
N:    for details.
N:
N:    Severity: serious, Certainty: possible
N:
N:    Check: binaries, Type: binary, udeb
N:
E: libotb: embedded-library usr/lib/otb/libotbtinyXML.so.4.0.0: tinyxml

As lintian explains we need to avoid code copies and thus I wonder
whether the copies of openjpeg and tinyXML are unchanged upstream
sources or patched versions of these libraries.  If it is unchanged
source it would be really enhance the packaging work if you could enable
options for the build system to ignore this copy in favour of the
libraries which are provided by Debian packages.

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 06:54:49AM +0200, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Thanks a lot for this work. I cannot do much for packaging, due to time and skill
> constraints, but I'll be more than happy to help with testing and possibly other
> tasks once a package is out.

I wonder if you would feel capable to create the binary package from the
packaging repository to test before any upload.  If not I would be able
to provide preliminary *.deb packages at some web space.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de