[Ubuntu] [Geoserver-devel] GeoServer and GeoTools Debian/Ubuntu Packaging

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Tue Jul 15 05:24:44 PDT 2014

> Concerning JAI. The JAI-Core and JAI-ImageIO package already exist, in
> non-free. From what I've seen in GeoTools' pom.xml some modules require
> JAI, this would mean that these GeoTools package would have to be put in
> non-free (I think?) since they depend on a non-free package and so if
> GeoServer depends on one of these, it would be put in non-free too
> anyway. That is if I understand correctly the Maven Dependencies, maybe
> the JAI dep could be ignored by Maven?

If the GeoTools package is itself DFSG compliant and only depends on a
non-free package it should go to contrib instead.

Only if the GeoTools package is not DFSG compliant it needs to go to
non-free.

The criteria for the different archive areas are documented in the Debian
Policy section 2.2:

https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html#s-sections

Kind Regards,

Bas