[Ubuntu] Ubuntu 14.04 question

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun May 18 16:47:10 PDT 2014

On 05/18/2014 04:27 PM, Worth Lutz wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've been using ubuntu-gis/unstable to keep my MapServer stuff up to date on
> my ubuntu 12.04 servers.
>
> I just put together a development server with Ubuntu 14.04 and noticed that
> the latest MapServer etc. was already available.
>
> My question, what is the policy for updates to Ubuntu and when is it
> necessary to add the ppa to have access to the latest good stuff?
>
> I am unfamiliar with the process for updates.
>
> Thanks for educating me.
>
> Worth Lutz

The current policy:

We try to get everything into Debian. Once it makes it there (Debian
Testing I think), then Ubuntu automatically pulls it in several months
before an Ubuntu release.

After that if we need newer versions we trigger a copy from Debian to
the Ubuntugis Unstable PPA.

All of the timing on this depends on the volunteer package maintainers
so no particular timeline is guaranteed. e.g QGIS is at 2.0 for Trusty
until 2.2 gets uploaded to the PPA, GDAL is 1.9 or 1.10 until 1.11 gets
uploaded etc.

Thanks,
Alex