[Ubuntu] Problems with postgis installation

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Mon Aug 24 13:49:39 PDT 2015

Going by Synaptic, from the UbuntuGIS unstable repo, there is a combined postgresql/postgis package. This should give less potential problems than separate packages where Postgis may not have been built against the same Postgresql. Especially if you installed Postgresql from a different repository.

eg: Postgesql v9.4 from the Postgres repo will not work with Postgis 2.1 complied for 9.3 from the UbuntuGIS repository.

The combined package originates from DebianGIS & is included in UbuntuGIS:  postgresql-9.3-postgis-2.1
Uninstalling your old ones & replacing with this should give you a complete matching Postgres/Postgis install, you can add Postgis separately afterwards which I think only adds some binaries like shp2pgsql.
Cheers
  Brent Wood