[Ubuntu] QGIS/GDAL with grass7 support

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 11 04:39:48 PDT 2015

> Hi list,
> since grass7 is now stable, there has also been an update of the
> gdal-grass plugin [1]. Would it be possible to reflect this update in
> the Ubuntu packages?

The Debian package for GDAL 1.11.2 and the accompanying libgdal-grass
plugin support GRASS 7, see:

http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-grass/gdal-grass.git

> Currently, the latest QGIS/GDAL/GRASS7 packages all work in their latest
> versions, but reading/browsing/writing a grass database with QGIS does
> not work. I have tried building gdal --with-grass on top of the
> preinstalled grass7 libraries (on Ubuntu 14.04), but without success,
> which leads me to believe that I would have to build all three from
> source to actually be able to interact between GRASS7 data and QGIS.

The native QGIS GRASS plugin (qgis-plugin-grass) still doesn't support
GRASS 7, the only support in QGIS for GRASS 7 is in Processing.

A crowd funding campaign is in the works to finance the development of
GRASS 7 support in the QGIS plugin, see:

http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2015-February/036851.html

> I would be happy to help with the building and packaging at least for
> the latest LTS 14.04, but I'm a newbie and would need some hints:$

Documentation for Debian packaging is available in the Debian GIS Policy,
see:

http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/policy/

Kind Regards,

Bas