[Ubuntu] Stable update

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Fri Apr 29 04:49:48 PDT 2016

On 04/29/2016 01:32 PM, Worth Lutz wrote:
> I'm willing to help but know nothing about how to build a package. I'm
> mainly a consumer of packages.
>
> If someone could point me to a tutorial, I'll experiment some and see
> what I can learn.

The git packaging workflow should help get you started:

 https://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/policy/packaging.html#git-packaging

What packages have your interest? I suggest to start with those packages
and rebuild the latest package revisions from the Debian GIS git
repository for your Ubuntu release.

Beware of library packages such as gdal, geos, spatialite, spatialindex,
postgis, etc, these are non-trivial to maintain because you need to test
all reverse dependencies when with new versions of those libraries.
Handling such transitions properly is essential to not break the inter
dependencies of the packages in the PPA. You also need to deal with the
version in Ubuntu itself verses the one in UbuntuGIS.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1