[Ubuntu] creating GRASS packages for UbuntuGIS

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Sat Jan 16 03:16:22 PST 2016

On 16-01-16 11:55, Martin Landa wrote:
>>  dch -v 7.0.3~rc2-1~exp1~wily1
>
> btw, I started to use different format of tags (without `exp` - I
> thought that it's just related to experimental branch):

The -1~exp1 revision is used to have the experimental versions precede
the -1 upload to unstable.

Backports of uploads to the Debian archive should likewise precede the
version uploaded by appending a ~ revision. Otherwise you risk breaking
upgrades.

This is documented in the policy too:

"
 PPA for Ubuntu by UbuntuGIS

 The UbuntuGIS team maintains Personal Package Archives (PPA) on
 Launchpad, where packages are backported for Ubuntu.

 Please keep in mind issues like the possibility to upgrade to the next
 Ubuntu stable release. Packages that are backports can be made
 inferior in version by using a tilde. If the package contains
 additional development, a version number without the tilde will make
 it higher, but not as high as the next Debian revision. For example:

    2.12.0-1~natty1 (backport in PPA)
  < 2.12.0-1        (from Debian in Ubuntu)
  < 2.12.0-1natty1  (in PPA, containing additions)
  < 2.12.0-2        (from Debian in Ubuntu).
"

https://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/policy/packaging.html#ubuntugis-ppa

> dch -v 7.0.3~rc2-1~wily1

This is wrong for backports.

> Is it OK, or I should follow `exp` syntax? Or this syntax is relevant
> only for RCs? So 7.0.3 become:
>
> 7.0.3-1~wily1 or 7.0.3-1~exp1~wily1 in experimental branch?

UbuntuGIS backports append their distribution specific ~ revision to the
version they are backporting from Debian, just like backport do in Debian:

 http://backports.debian.org/Contribute/#index6h3

Kind Regards,

Bas

--