[Ubuntu] Does UbuntuGIS select/package for universe?

Thomas Larsen Wessel mrvelle at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 11:49:37 PST 2024

At: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis
One of the first lines says: "This page is where we coordinate the
packaging of Geospatial Open Source Software for Ubuntu."

I took this to mean that the UbuntuGIS team has been delegated the job of
selecting and packaging the GIS-related packages that will be made
available through the official Ubuntu universe archives. Is that the case?

I do realize that UbuntuGIS maintains two public PPAs, stable and unstable.
But maybe the team organizes the GIS packages in Ubuntu universe too?

I thought the selection of packages in "ubuntugis-stable" was just copied
into universe. But then I realized that the releases available through
ubuntugis-stable are just slightly ahead of universe, at least in some
cases. E.g. gdal-3.4.3 in ubuntugis-stable, but gdal-3.4.1 in universe (for
Jammy).

Sincerely, Thomas