[OSGeo-UK] Re: CKAN for open geodata

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Wed Jul 23 09:07:15 EDT 2008

William Waites wrote:
> Should be just http://catalog.terradue.com however the user interface
> is very much proof-of-concept. It needs a good javascript hacker.

This looks fantastic! I love the map showing the boundary boxes for the
data! This could also be really useful for other datasets that may have
geospatial metadata - atmospheric, geological, etc.

[snip]

> In an ideal world I would like to see both projects basically become
> indexed stores of RDF descriptions of datasets and a nice friendly RDF
> browser for looking at and searching them.

It would be great to integrate them together more. As Rufus said,
perhaps we could have a plugin for geospatial metadata? E.g. for
packages at:

  http://ckan.net/tag/read/geodata

Have you had much of a look at CKAN? What do you think it would take for
the two to work together more? It would be great to get your input!

In the first instance, perhaps we could get together on IRC to see where
we're at, to list more packages, to think about metadata support, etc.
Perhaps in August?

Best,

Jonathan