[OSGeo-UK] [Fwd: IDRN event - The use of mapping software and systems in health and academic research]

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Mon Jul 20 15:37:30 EDT 2009

FYI - November event at RGS, London...
Not sure if it applies for you guys.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	IDRN event - The use of mapping software and systems in health
and academic research
Date: 	Mon, 20 Jul 2009 10:54:50 +0100
From: 	Fatima Wurie <f.wurie at ucl.ac.uk>
To: 	tmitchell at osgeo.org

Dear Mr Mitchell,

I am writing from the Infectious Disease Research Network. We have an
upcoming event that yourself and colleagues may be interested in. Taking
place on Wed 4 November, it is looking at the application of GIS and
other platforms within health and academic research. Please see below
for the details. We welcome any abstract submissions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------**

*The use of mapping software and systems in health and academic research
Venue:  Royal Geographical Society, central London
Wednesday 4 November 2009
*http://idrn.org/events/upcoming/mapping.php

We are delighted to announce our next workshop, taking place in central
London, on Wed 4 November 2009. This event will highlight the uses of
mapping software, web-based platforms and geographical information
systems, in relation to all forms of research. The main talks are
themed around infectious disease, including the mapping of the current
'swine flu' pandemic, and we invite attendance and abstracts from
individuals who are involved in other forms of health or academic activity.

There will also be an extended interactive lunchtime session, that
includes viewing of posters, electronic 'poster presentations' that can
give demos of the researchers work, plus also computer terminals set up
with Google Maps/Earth, and other software and platforms etc for
delegates to have a go themselves and/or watch demonstrations of what
can be done.

We have an exciting line-up of invited speakers, including -

     * Mikaela Keller, Harvard Medical School, USA - Mapping the
       influenza A H1N1 outbreak
     * Russell Stothard, Natural History Museum - Use of GIS / GPS in
       schistosomiasis research
     * David Aanensen, Imperial College London -
       www.spatialepidemiology.net - tools for mapping infectious disease
       epidemiology
     * Mat Fisher, Imperial College London - Using Google Earth to
       identify populations and invasions in emerging fungal infections
     * Marianne Sinka & Will Temperley, University of Oxford - Mapping
       the geographical distribution of the Anopheles vectors.

The cost is only £67.78 per delegate. We are keen to get an audience
comprising of beginners and experts, from a range of disciplines and
backgrounds, so please do see our event webpage for more information,
abstract submission, the programme and flyer, and online registration -
http://idrn.org/events/upcoming/mapping.php

With kind regards

Fatima

Fatima Wurie

Research Assistant

UCL Centre of Infectious Disease Epidemiology

Research Department of Infection and Population Health

University College London - Royal Free Campus

Rowland Hill Street

London

NW3 2PF

Tel: 020 7830 2239 (x 38828)