[OSGeo-UK] Responding to the consultation on opening Ordnance Survey's data

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Mon Jan 25 07:20:48 EST 2010

dear Jo,

On 25/01/2010 11:31, Joanne Cook wrote:
> This is fantastic! I am in discussion with Tyler about an OSGeo
> response to the proposals, but a joint OSGeo-OKFN response
> would be even better.

Okay I am glad to hear it.

The good people at Ernest Marples have set up a simple website
for people to submit and publish responses through:

http://osconsult.ernestmarples.com/

Richard Fairhurst's response makes interesting reading:
http://www.systemeD.net/documents/os_consultation.pdf

I broadly agree with him about the negative impact on the commercial
market of release of the mid-scale raster products.

He makes a good point about re-use of aerial imagery without restriction
on derived works - "Aerial imagery is accessible innovation."

I liked his approach, picking a few highlights from the consultation
questions, answering in detail.

cheers,

jo