[OSGeo-UK] Thanks for #osgis

Jo Walsh jo.walsh at ed.ac.uk
Wed Jun 23 20:57:36 EDT 2010

dear all,

I really enjoyed #osgis - thanks all the organisers at CGS especially Suchith.

I was sorry to have to miss the workshop with sponsors and organisers
in different areas that happened today. I would love to hear several
different perspectives on what happened, posted to this list. I would
also be fascinated to hear more about re-applying the gvSIG model for
sustainability to other projects including - especially - OpenStreetmap.

One thread that came up a few times during #osgis wss getting a bigger
open source profile through AGI events - but explicitly positioning
this as for business sustainability rather than being shoved into a
technical corner...

I heard very positive noises from Scottish Government people after
doing an OSGeo talk at AGI Scotland a couple of months ago. We could
talk with them about putting on a workshop in Scotland oriented to
government work, supporting local authority GIS people to attend etc.
Ask the Welsh Assembly people along.

I was so glad to get the chance to talk properly with Jo Cook and
think about an OSGeo book for kids. I was introduced to an ex-ESRI
technical author by Iain McKay at the Scottish Improvement Service.
One could *attempt* to apply to the Foundation to have a technical
editor work over a community-patched-together-from-wiki book.

Looking forward to next years (but can we not have it on June 22nd
every year?)

jo
--
Jo Walsh

Unlock places: http://unlock.edina.ac.uk/
EDINA National Datacentre
tel: +44 (0)131 650 2973

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.