[OSGeo-UK] GeoWebCache for INSPIRE WMS View Service

Tom Moore mooret992003 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 8 11:00:07 EST 2011

Forth Valley GIS have recently spent a lot of time investigating the use of
GeoWebCache to deliver INSPIRE compliant View services.  Having to handle
large data sets > 1million records means that INSPIRE compliant caching in
GeoWebCache is a must.

So far we have done and discovered the following:

Our installation is currently very simple - we have one instance of
geoserver, installed as a windows service.  We have been using the
integrated version of geowebcache bundled with geosever, so geowebcahce is
running as part of the same windows service as geoserver.  We have installed
the INSPIRE community plugin on geoserver.

Currently our service is INSPIRE and wms 1.3.0 compliant, but does not serve
cached tiles.  Our objective is to be able to serve INSPIRE compliant WMS
1.3.0 tiles and capabilities documents to clients making both wms-c and
arbitrary wms requests, and that is what we are having difficulty with.

We have been able to seed our cache in geowebcache and switch on automatic
integration with geowebcache on our test server, and have achieved the
following results:

http://host_url/geoserver/wms?service=wms&version=1.1.1&request=getcapabilities
- returns a 1.1.1 capabilities document without gridset information
http://host_url/geoserver/wms?service=wms&version=1.1.1&request=getcapabilities&TILED=true
- returns an empty capabilities document
http://host_url/geoserver/wms?service=wms&version=1.3.0&request=getcapabilities&TILED=true
- returns a 1.3.0 capabilities document without any gridset information
http://host_url/geoserver/gwc/service/wms?service=wms&version=1.1.1&request=getcapabilities&TILED=true
- returns a 1.1.1 capabilities document with gridset information
http://host_url/geoserver/gwc/service/wms?service=wms&version=1.3.0&request=getcapabilities&TILED=true
- returns a 1.1.1 capabilities document with gridset information

wms client making arbitrary 1.1.1 or 1.3.0 getmap (non wms-c) requests to
http://host_url/geoserver/  - Does not cache.
wms client making arbitrary 1.1.1 or 1.3.0 getmap (non wms-c) requests to
http://host_url/geoserver/gwc/service  - Does not cache.
wms-c client making gridset conforming 1.1.1 or 1.3.0 getmap requests to
http://host_url/geoserver/gwc/service - Caches
wms-c client making gridset conforming 1.1.1 getmap requests to
http://host_url/geoserver - Caches
wms-c client making gridset conforming 1.3.0 getmap requests to
http://host_url/geoserver - does not cache

We have therefore come to the following conclusions/observations:
Geowebcache only support wms 1.1.1
Geowebcache cannot publish capabilities documents for wms 1.3.0 services,
and therefore cannot support INSPIRE since this is built on the 1.3.0
standard,
The INPSPIRE and wms 1.3.0 capabilities of geoserver do not extend to
geowebcache
The geowebcache documentation suggests that geowebcache can be configured to
recombine and resample tiles to answer arbitrary WMS requests, but I this
does not seem to be possible in the integrated/bundled version of
geowebcache

Has anyone else on this list had experience in regards to this problem?
Does anyone have a solution that works with GeoServer?
We have contacted OpenGeo directly, but have not had a response in regards
to the upgrade of GeoWebCache for WMS 1.3.0 and extended INSPIRE
GetCapabilities documents.  Does anyone know of the delivery horizon for
this functionality?